Why are File Documents Important to You
Your core company fabric is documented and managed in files …. for staff, contracts, sales, etc.
The creation and management of file documents is done by people. Human behaviour is unstructured and results in challenges frequently faced across all sectors:
- A continuous increase in the number of documents stored, despite over half being unnecessary
- A growing number of places (structured and unstructured) that data is being stored
- Business processes that only relate to current data, with limited legacy knowledge
- No appreciation for the documents being held, yet liable for the contents of all of them
Few businesses can identify and safely remove their ROT (Redundant, Obsolete or Trivial) data, required to remove data noise and cost.
Finding documents containing sensitive data is hard, but essential given the importance of much of the data stored.
Being able to look at both elements together is critical when it comes to effective data protection.
The Data MetaMorph Approach
Knowledge is scattered across your organisation, and we have developed a process to collect and integrate the necessary information with the least impact to you.
We engage with key stakeholders across the company in a series of 1:1 meetings, but we don’t ask you to fill out forms (we do that post interview, and ask you to validate the content).
We ask for document file listings from in-scope document repositories and staff information for ownership. If you are unable to produce document file listings for any given repository, we will help you identify a way to achieve this.
We take the disparate document file listings supplied by you and integrate them to harmonise the info for:
- File servers and NAS drives, object archives
- Cloud storage (Dropbox, G-Drive, OneDrive, etc)
- Applications holding documents (Document Mgmt, Apps, Email attachments)
We do our assessments of both ROT and sensitive data at the file level, building a comprehensive picture to expose duplication and versioning, and providing existing keyword tags revealing the types of data held.
We work with you to determine from your own data which keyword tags to classify as sensitive, providing reporting to enable scalable remediation activity to be scheduled for this and ROT as part of your programme.
Most importantly, we don’t just give you a list of files to fix. We take the data and identify places within your environment where all files need to be remediated, allowing you to validate and execute hundreds or thousands or files or directories of data with minimal effort.
For some types of ROT (e.g. trivial files) and for sensitive data, it will by definition by scattered all over the place, and we work with you to set rules to determine how much remediation you want to achieve, based on your own ROI objectives.
We adapt our assessments to your needs, and can engage under the following models:
- Engagement-led assessment, where we work with a diverse set of key stakeholders across your business, support functions, and IT teams
- Data-led assessment, where we can provide a significant amount of insight without engaging with a diverse set of key stakeholders
- We have a small enterprise model, allowing us to offer our assessments at a price more in line with this market
- We are also happy to work with you on a pilot assessment, in order to demonstrate the value of our analytic services